Post by Terri on Jul 16, 2006 9:21:17 GMT -5
Well, my choice of varieties could have been better.
The little water melons did not germinate well, it might have been the lack of weeding and it might have just been one of those things. So, I replanted with whatever vine seeds were at the local store: crimson sweet melons (which are full-sized) and some pumpkin seeds.
Holy Moly, Batman!!!!!
The IDEA was to have the melons grow AROUND the zuchini and such, and shade the weeds. NOT grow over them!
I have rescued what I found, by cutting the big shading leaves. There are happy little round melon balls EVERYWHERE, but if I do not keep an eye on things the cost would be high!
Meanwhile, the cukes and zucchini are bearing well enough, there are little tomatos on the plants that I set out, (at least on the ones I could find through the leaves!) I have NO idea where the cherry tomato plant I set out has gone, though it may show up later from under the melon leaves, and the potato leaves were badly eated by bugs but they produced anyways.
A racoon got 2 of my hens but I think I got the racoon. At least, the trap set against the hen house caught her. I no longer have enough hens: I must see about that.